Though, I have a good amount of experience with the subject, I am always finding new technology being used in film that I can barely grasp. I remember when I first found out about the technology behind green and blue screening (aka chroma keying). The technology behind it is actually simple really. Basically what happens is that the editor tells the computer to ignore all of the green in a shot. The reason the color is either green or blue is because these are the two colors that are farthest away from the human skin tone. If it were the case that you cancelled out a color that was close to the human skin tone then the subject would either disappear or look like some form of ghost. Sometimes, as a matter of fact, you can watch the weather and see the weather map on the meteorologist’s tie because he wore a green tie that day. It took me almost a year to fully understand chroma key which is a fairly basic film technology. Who knows how long it will take me to learn the next one.
Hey! I really enjoyed reading your blog intro. Film making sounds so interesting and now I can say I know at least one thing that goes on behind the camera.I also think its awesome that you know what your passion is and have known for a long time, I truly admire that. Also, you should definitely post one of your short films to share on the your blog, it would be great to see. great title by the way!
ReplyDeleteHey Kevin, nice post! I'm also a film maker, minus the camera. More like commercials and website intros, done all digitally. You said you like to see new technology related to film making, well, check it out! http://kinetictypography.com
ReplyDelete